Effect of intra-abdominal hypertension on the strength of the postoperative scar of a laparotomic wound
Annotation. One of the main factors of postoperative eventration is intra-abdominal hypertension, which occurs in various surgical pathologies of the abdominal cavity. Despite the presence of a large number of scientific papers on the negative effect of intra-abdominal hypertension on the morphological state of granulation tissue in the area of the laparotomy wound, there are no publications on the impact on the strength of the postoperative scar. Therefore, the study aimed to investigate in an experiment on small laboratory animals the effect of intra-abdominal hypertension on the mechanical strength of the postoperative scar of a laparotomy wound. The experiment was performed on 120 laboratory rats, which underwent a median laparotomy and brought together the edges of the musculoaponeurotic layer of the anterior abdominal wall with simple nodal sutures. The main group consisted of 72 animals who developed intra-abdominal hypertension by inserting a container (condom) with a certain amount of Furacilin into the abdominal cavity. The comparison group consisted of 48 animals who had an empty condom inserted into the abdominal cavity after laparotomy. The mechanical strength of the postoperative scar of the laparotomy wound was determined by the method of G. V. Petrovich (2010) on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th day after the creation of intra-abdominal hypertension, by measuring the level of intra-abdominal pressure at the time of rupture of the postoperative scar of the laparotomy wound. Statistical analysis of the results was performed using Microsoft Excel spreadsheets and a package of statistical processing software PAST. Differences between study groups were determined using Mann-Whitney criteria. The results of the study indicate that the created intra-abdominal hypertension leads to a decrease in the mechanical strength of the postoperative scar of the laparotomy wound. The degree of the negative impact of intra-abdominal hypertension on the strength of the postoperative scar is inversely proportional to the level of intra-abdominal pressure.
2. Bodiaka, V. Yu., Ivashchuk, O. I., & Davydenko, I. S. (2013). Patomorfolohichni zminy vnutrishnikh orhaniv za dii pidvyshchenoho vnutrishnocherevnoho tysku v eksperymenti [Pathomorphological changes of internal organs under the action of increased intra-abdominal pressure in the experiment]. Klinichna ta eksperymentalna patolohiia – Clinical and experimental pathology, 12 (2), 18–20. Vziato z http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/kep_2013_12_2_7
3. Boiko, V. V., Kozachenko, A. V., Herbenko H. I. Buhakov, I. Ya., Isaiev, Yu. I., Kravtsov, O. V., ... & Makieiev, S. I. (2014). Eventratsiia, likuvannia uskladnen [Eventration, treatment of complications]. Kharkivska khirurhichna shkola – Kharkiv surgical school, 1 (64), 98–102.
4. Ivashchuk, O. I., Bodiaka, V. Yu., Morar I. K., & Hlihor, S. A. (2011). Syndrom abdominalnoi kompresii yak klinichna problema suchasnoi nevidkladnoi khirurhii [Abdominal compression syndrome as a clinical problem of modern emergency surgery]. Klinichna anatomiia ta operatyvna khirurhiia – Clinical anatomy and operative surgery, 10 (4), 81–86.
5. Morar, I. K., Ivashchuk, O. I., Bodiaka, V. Iu., Hushul, I. Ya., Hnatiuk, M. H., & Postevka, I. D. (2017). Pisliaoperatsiina eventratsiia [Postoperative eventration]. Klinichna ta eksperymentalna patolohiia – Clinical and experimental pathology, 16 (1), 177–181. Vziato z http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/kep_2017_16_1_42
6. Petrovych, H. V. (2010). Histolohichni aspekty zastosuvannia prolenovykh alotransplantativ z metoiu zapobihannia pisliaoperatsiinoi eventratsii v eksperymenti [Histological aspects of the use of prolene allografts to prevent postoperative eventration in the experiment]. Bukovynskyi medychnyi visnyk – Bukovynian Medical Bulletin, 1 (53), 128–130.
7. Savelev, V. S. (Red.). Gelfand, B. R., Procenko, D. N., Podachin, P. V. Chubchenko, S. V., & Lapshina, I. Yu. (2008). Sindrom intraabdominalnoj gipertenzii [Intra-abdominal hypertension syndrome.]. Novosibirsk: Sibirskij uspeh.
8. Bodnar, Z., Sipka, S., Tidrenczel, E., & Amador Marchante, M. (2014). Ten years experience in the research of abdominal compartment syndrome (2004-2014). Orv. Hetil., 155 (44), 1748–1757. DOI: 10.1007/s00268-015-3142-1
9. Boulliot, J. L., Servajean, S., Pozzo, А., & Akkash, Y. (2003). Eventration of the abdominal wall. Rev. Prat., 53 (15), 1677–1682. Retrieved from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14689914/
10. Ibis, C., & Altan, A. (2009). The Value of Intra-abdominal Pressure Measurement in Patients with Acute Abdomen. Asian J. Surg., 32 (1), 33–38. DOI: 10.1016/S1015-9584(09)60006-3
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.