Prospects for the use of silver nanoparticles for the creation of composite dental materials with antimicrobial properties
Annotation. Due to the uncontrolled use of antibiotics, the issue of antibiotic resistance has become vitally important. Search the alternative antimicrobials preparation is urgent question. Despite significant achievements in dentistry, the quality of root canals endodontic treatment remains relevant issue. Enterococcus faecalis is one of the ESKAPE group pathogen as well as one of the most common causative agents of intracanal caries. Ag nanoparticles (AgNPs) have shown high efficacy against several polyresistant strains. Therefore, the purpose of our study was to evaluate the possibility of AgNPs using to create composite dental materials with antimicrobial activity. Statistical processing of the obtained results was performed using the software package for statistical data processing Graph Pud Prism 8 with the definition of the Student's criterion. The antibacterial effect of Ag NPs was evaluated against the clinical strain of E. faecalis by determining the minimum inhibitory concentration (serial dilution method) and the minimum bactericidal concentration (direct inoculation of the microorganism from liquid onto solid media). The influence of AgNPs on the multiplication of the bacterial population and on the processes of biofilm formation were investigated. The MIC and MBC were 2.5 µg / ml. Time-kill curve of E. faecalis strain indicates the need for prolonged contact of microorganisms with the nanosilver preparation and reflect a gradual decrease in the number of bacteria in the sample. AgNPs inhibit the formation of biofilms in the early stages and effectively affect 3-days biofilms. The action of the silver nanoparticles at the initiation stage reduced the total volume of the unformed biofilm by 2 times at concentrations of 10 and 20 MICs. The inhibitory effect of silver on the formed 3-day biofilm was dose-dependent and increased with increasing concentration. The obtained results show AgNPs inhibit the growth and reproduction of planktonic and film forms of E. faecalis and can be used to create dental composite with antimicrobial activity.
2. Horobets, S. V, Horobets, O.Iu., Horbyk, P. P., & Uvarova, I. V. (2018). Funktsionalni bio- ta nanomaterialy medychnoho pryznachennia: monohrafiia [Functional bio- and nanomaterials for medical purposes: monograph]. Kyiv: Vydavnychyi dim “Kondor”.
3. Dronova, M. L. (2016). Farmakolohichni osoblyvosti antybakterialnoi dii novykh pokhidnykh arylalifatychnykh aminospyrtiv [Pharmacological features of antibacterial action of new derivatives of arylaliphatic amino alcohols]. (Dys. kand. farm. nauk). Instytut farmakolohii ta toksykolohii NAMN Ukrainy. Kyiv.
4. Salmanov, A. H. (2017). Plan dii Ukrainy z antymikrobnoi rezystentnosti [Ukrainian Action Plan on antimicrobial resistance]. Mizhnarodnyi zhurnal antybiotyky ta probiotyky – International Journal of Antibiotics and Probiotics, 1 (1), 10–28. DOI: 10.31405.
5. Sydorak, Kh. T. (2019). Profilaktyka uskladnen endodontychnoho likuvannia korenevykh kanaliv zubiv [Prevention of root canal treatment complications]. (Dys. kand. med. nauk). Natsionalna medychna akademiia pisliadyplomnoi osvity imeni P.L.Shchupyka, Kyiv.
6. Bulacio, Mde L., Galván, L. R., Gaudioso, C., Cangemi, R., & Erimbaue, M. I. (2015). Enterococcus faecalis biofilm formation and development in vitro observed by scanning electron microscopy. Acta Odontol Latinoam, 28, 3, 210–214. Retrieved from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27095620/.
7. Kouidhi, B., Zmantar, T., Mahdouani, K., Hentati, H., & Bakhrouf, A. (2011). Antibiotic resistance and adhesion properties of oral Enterococci associated to dental caries. BMC Microbiology, 11, 155. doi: 10.1186/1471-2180-11-155.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.