Using an ozone therapy in the treatment of trophic ulcers of low extremity
Annotation. Diabetes is one of the most common metabolic diseases in the world with a large number of complications. Threatening conditions that significantly reduce the quality of life and even lead to the death include a diabetic foot syndrome. The aim of the study was to investigate the effectiveness of combined ozone therapy in the treatment of patients with type 2 diabetes with chronic lower extremity trophic ulcers. A prospective study of the effectiveness of using the combined method of ozone therapy in the treatment of trophic ulcers of the lower extremities was conducted in the surgical and rehabilitation departments of the University Clinic of the National Pirogov Memorial Medical University. The study involved 52 patients with diadetes mellitus 2 type, who were randomly assigned to the main (n=26) and control (n=26) groups. Subjective and objective changes in the condition of patients were evaluated: an area of trophic ulcers (by A.V. Kuleshov's method), a rate of ulcer’s defect epithelization (by L. Popova's formula) and the quality of life parameters of patients (by the questionnaire SF-36) before and after the treatment. The endpoint of the study was a complete epithelization of the diabetic trophic ulcer. The treatment was carried out according to the generally accepted methodology in both observation groups, and the combination ozone therapy was additionally used for patients of the main group. The latter provided for the intravenous administration of an oxygen-ozonized 0.9% NaCl solution and local exposure of the trophic ulcer defect to the ozonized mixture by chamber aeration. The course of complex treatment was carried out after removal of necrotic tissue and wound cleansing, consisted of 10 local and general ozone therapy procedures, which were carried out every other day. The data obtained were processed using the SPSS for Windows 10.0 and STATISTICA 6.1 application software package (license number BXXR901E245722FA). One month after, the observation changes of the trophic skin defects and Quality of life indicators showed the significantly (p<0.01) better results of treatment in the main group than in the control group. The endpoint of the study was achieved in 85% of patients after complex treatment versus 29% of patients in the control group after a conventional treatment (p<0.01). Using as modern rehabilitation method as ozone therapy is an appropriate complement to the existing treatment regimens, which can significantly accelerate the clinical recovery of patients and, as a result, improve the quality of life. The particular value of the method confirmed by an absence of contraindications and drug overloads of the patient. The study of the effects of ozone therapy on the metabolism of patients with diabetes mellitus type 2 can be a promising area for further research.
2. Galstyan, G. R., Tokmakova, A. Yu., Egorova, D. N., Mitish, V. A., Pashalova, Yu. S., Anciferov, M. B., & Komelyagina, E. Yu. (2015). Klinicheskie rekomendacii po diagnostike i lecheniyu sindroma diabeticheskoj stopy [Clinical recommendations for the diagnosis and treatment of diabetic foot syndrome]. Rany i ranevye infekcii. Zhurnal im. prof. B.M. Kostyuchenka – Wounds and wound infections. Magazine them. prof. B.M. Kostyuchenko, 2 (23), 63–67.
3. Hanzhyi, V. V., Rylov, A. I., Rudenko, D. Yu., & Tantsura, P. Yu. (2013). Pokrashchennia rezultativ likuvannia khvorykh z trofichnymy vyrazkamy [Improving the results of treatment of patients with trophic ulcers]. Aktualni problemy suchasnoi medytsyny: Visnyk ukrainskoi medychnoi stomatolohichnoi akademii – Topical issues of modern medicine: Bulletin of the Ukrainian Medical Dental Academy, 1 (41), Vziato z URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/.
4. Dondorieva, I. S., Boboshko, R. O., Zaitsev, M. V., Ponomarova, Ye. V., & Shevchenko, Ye. V. (2013). Funktsionalnyi metod likuvannia trofichnykh vyrazok stopy ta yii kuksy [Functional method of treatment of trophic ulcers of the foot and its stump]. Ortopediya, travmatologiya i protezirovanie – Orthopedics, traumatology and prosthetics, 1, 50–54.
5. Ivanova, Yu. V., Klimova, O. M., & Korobov, A. M. (2019). Likuvannia trofichnykh vyrazok u khvorykh na khronichnu venoznu nedostatnist iz vykorystanniam fototerapii ta suchasnykh ranovykh pokryttiv [Treatment of trophic ulcers in patients with chronic venous insufficiency using phototherapy and modern wound coatings]. Zdorovia Ukrainy. Tematychnyi nomer “Khirurhiia, Ortopediia, Travmatolohiia, Intensyvna terapiia” – Health of Ukraine. Thematic issue “Surgery, Orthopedics, Traumatology, Intensive care”, 2 (36), 5–9.
6. Kovalchuk, P. N., & Kovalchuk, L. S. (2011). Opyt primeneniya razlichnyh metodik ozonoterapii v lechenii oslozhnenij saharnogo diabeta [Experience in the application of various methods of ozone therapy in the treatment of complications of diabetes]. Problemy zdorovya i ekologii – Health and environmental issues, 2 (28). Retrieved from URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/.
7. Kryzyna, O. V. (2018). Trofichni porushennia miakykh tkanyn nyzhnikh kintsivok pry tsukrovomu diabeti 2 typu (ohliad) [Trophic disorders of the soft tissues of the lower extremities in type 2 diabetes (review)]. Klinichna endokrynolohiia ta endokrynna khirurhiia – Clinical endocrinology and endocrine surgery, 1 (61), 15–20. https://doi.org/10.24026/1818–1384.1(61).2018.126901.
8. Riabushko, R. M., Liakhovskyi, V. I., & Riabushko, N. O. (2017). Suchasni pidkhody do kompleksnoho likuvannia venoznykh trofichnykh vyrazok nyzhnikh kintsivok [Current approaches to complex treatment of venous trophic ulcers]. Visnyk ukrainskoi medychnoi stomatolohichnoi akademii – Bulletin of the Ukrainian Medical Dental Academy, 3 (59), 282–287.
9. Savchenko, Yu. P., & Fedosov, S. R. (2007). Metody opredeleniya razmerov ranevoj poverhnosti [Methods for determining the size of the wound surface]. Vestnik hirurgii – Herald of Surgery, 166 (1), 102–105.
10. Samaeva, E. V. (2016). Sravnitelnaya harakteristika osobennostej techeniya regeneratornyh processov pri peresadke kultivirovannyh dermalnyh autofibroblastov i lechenii mazyu “Levomekol” [Comparative characteristics of the features of the course of regenerative processes during transplantation of cultured dermal autofibroblasts and treatment with Levomekol ointment]. Universum: Medicina i farmakologiya: elektron. nauchn. zhurn. – Universum: Medicine and Pharmacology: Electron. scientific journal, 6 (28). Retrieved from URL: http://7universum.com/ru/med/archive/item/3290.
11. Tsariuk, Yu. S., Fendiur, V. D., & Siryi, V. M. (2009). Klinichni aspekty zastosuvannia rehionarnoi prolonhovanoi ozonoterapii v likuvanni hniino-nekrotychnykh urazhen stopy u khvorykh na tsukrovyi diabet [Clinical aspects of the use of regional prolonged ozone therapy in the treatment of purulent-necrotic foot lesions in patients with diabetes mellitus]. Visnyk ukrainskoi stomatolohichnoi akademii – Bulletin of the Ukrainian Dental Academy, 1 (32), 78–83.
12. Al-Saadi, H., Potapova, I., Rochford, E. T., Moriarty, T. F., & Messmer, P. (2016). Ozonated saline shows activity against planktonic and biofilm growing Staphylococcus aureus in vitro: a potential irrigant for infected wounds. International Wound Journal, 13 (5), 936–42. doi: 10.1111/iwj.12412.
13. Brownrigg, J. R, Schaper, N. C., & Hinchliffe, R. J. (2015). Diagnosis and assessment of peripheral arterial disease in the diabetic foot. Diabet Med., 32 (6), 738–47. https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.12749.
14. Degli Agosti, I., Ginelli, E., Mazzacane, B., Peroni, G., Bianco, S., Guerriero, F., … Rondanelli, M. (2016). Effectiveness of a Short-Term Treatment of Oxygen-Ozone Therapy into Healing in a Posttraumatic Wound. Case Reports in Medicine, Article ID 9528572, 5p. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/9528572.
15. Gereli, A., Aydinlar, E. I., Karyemez, P.E, Gereli, A., Aydinlar, E. I., Irban, A. G., … Gulec-Suyen G. (2019). The effect of ozone therapy on experimental bone fracture healing in rats. Int. Res. J. Public Environ. Health, 2 (10), 159–66. DOI: 10.7203/jo3t.3.4.2019.15511.
16. Hagger, M. S., & Chatzisarantis, N. L. (2017). Causality orientations moderate the undermining effect of rewards on intrinsic motivation. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 47 (2), 485–489. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2017.10.010.
17. Jia, L., Parker, C. N., Parker, T. J., Kinnear, E. M., Derhy, P. H., Alvarado, A. M., … Lazzarini, P. A. (2017). Incidence and risk factors for developing infection in patients presenting with uninfected diabetic foot ulcers. PLoS One, 12 (5), e0177916. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0177916.
18. Karatieieva, S., Muzyka, N., Semenenko, S., Bakun, O., & Kozlovskaya, I. (2018). Ultrastructural changes of wound macrophages under the influence of intravenous ozone therapy in patients with Diabetes and Inflamatory processes of soft tissues. Georgian Med. News, 2 (276), 98–101. Retrieved from https://europepmc.org/article/med/29697390.
19. Kushmakov, R., Gandhi, J., Seyam, O., Jiang, W., Joshi, G., Smith, N. L., & Ali Khan, S. (2018). Ozone therapy for diabetic foot. Med. Gas Res., 8 (3), 111–115. https://doi.org/10.4103/2045–9912.241076.
20. Ministry of Health of Ukraine Order N.1118 of 21.12.2012 “On Approval and Implementation of Medical and Technological Documents on Standardization of Medical Assistance in Type 2 Diabetes”, Unified Clinical Protocol for Assistance to Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. https:www.moz.gov.ua.
21. Nabi, B. N., Sedighinejad, A., Ahmad Reza Mirbolouk, A. R., Farnoush Farzi, F., Haghighi, M., Atrkarroushan, Z., … Chohdary, F. (2018). The Effectiveness of Ozone Therapy in Chronic Osteomyelitis: A Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial. Arch. Clin. Infect. Dis., 13 (2), e61320. https://doi.org/10.5812/archcid.61320.
22. Ozdemir, H., Toker, H., Balci, H., & Ozer, H. (2013). Effect of ozone therapy on autogenous bone graft healing in calvarial defects: a histologic and histometric study in rats. J. Periodontal Res., 48 (6), 722–6. https://doi.org/10.1111/jre.12060.
23. Sekhar, M. S., Thomas, R. R., Unnikrishnan, M. K., Vijayanarayana, K., & Rodrigues, G. S. (2016). Impact of diabetic foot ulcer on health-related quality of life: A cross-sectional study. Semin Vasc. Surg., 28 (3–4), 165–71. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.semvascsurg.2015.12.001.
24. Song, M., Zeng, Q., Xiang, Y., Gao, L., Huang, J., Huang, J., … Lu, J. (2018). The antibacterial effect of topical ozone on the treatment of MRSA skin infection. Molecular medicine reports, 17, 2449–2455. https://doi.org/10.3892/mmmr.2017.8148.
25. Turkmen, A., Kesici, S., Keles, E., Denizli, E., Buyukyildirim, A., & Kesici, U. (2015). Ozone treatment in patient with multiple traumas. Case Study Rep, 5 (1), 25–8.
26. Volmer-Thole, M., & Lobmann, R. (2017). Neuropathy and Diabetic Foot Syndrome. Int. J. Mol. Sci., 17 (6), pii: E917. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms17060917.
27. Zhang, J., Guan, M., Xie, C., Luo, X., Zhang, Q., & Xue, Y. (2017). Increased growth factors play a role in wound healing promoted by noninvasive oxygen-ozone therapy in diabetic patients with foot ulcers. Oxid. Med. Cell Longev., 2 (7), 32–37. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/273475.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.