Case of hydatid cyst with localization in the liver gate and the development of acute acalculous cholecystitis
Annotation. Among all internal organs, the liver is the organ that is most commonly affected by echinococcosis, and in more than half of the cases its right lobe is affected. Active migration of the population caused the spread of pathology beyond the endemic regions. In particular, more than 100 cases of echinococcosis among people are registered in Ukraine every year. The purpose of this study is to analyze a clinical case that demonstrates an echinococcal impression of the liver with interesting localization of the cyst near the liver gate, with compression of the cystic duct and the development of acute acalculous cholecystitis. When the patient was hospitalized, there was no expected eosinophilia in the blood test, but it appeared on 14 day of albendazole chemotherapy. In serological testing of the blood by ELISA, the determination of IgG for Echinococcus granulosus was doubtful. However, radiological findings clearly indicated signs of parasitic cyst genesis. Following all the principles of aparasitism, the patient underwent closed echinococectomy, microscopy of the native material confirmed the presence of numerous scolexes in cystic fluid.
2. Musaev, G. H., Fatyanova, A. S., & Levkin, V. V. (2017). Principy i sovremennye tendencii lecheniya ehinokokkoza pecheni [Principles and current trends in the treatment of liver echinococcosis]. Hirurgiya – Surgery, 12, 90–94. https://doi.org/10.17116/hirurgia20171290-94.
3. Khomenko, V. S., Perepelytsia, V. P., Syrotkin, A. V., Strotskyi, K. P., & Khomenko, L. V. (2019). Vypadok duodenalnoi neprokhidnosti, vyklykanoi hihantskoiu ekhinokokovoiu kistoiu pechinky [A case of duodenal obstruction caused by a giant echinococcal cyst of the liver]. Khirurhiia dytiachoho viku – Pediatric Surgery, 2 (63), 97–102. Vziato z http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Khdv_2019_2_20.
4. Bayrak, M., & Altıntas, Y. (2019). Current approaches in the surgical treatment of liver hydatid disease: single center experience. BMC Surgery, 19, 95. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12893-019-0553-1.
5. Gharbi, H.A, Hassine, W., Brauner, M.W., & Dupuch, K. (1981). Ultrasound examination of the hydatic liver. Radiology, 139 (2), 459–463. doi: 10.1148/radiology.139.2.7220891.
6. Gupta, N., Javed, A., Puri, S., Jan, S., Singh, S., & Agarwal, A. (2011). Hepatic hydatid: pair, drain or resect? Journal of gastrointestinal surgery, 15 (10), 1829–1836. Retrieved from https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11605-011-1649-9.
7. Marrero, J., Ahn, J., & Rajender, R. (2014). Americal College of Gastroenterology. ACG clinical guideline: the diagnosis and management of focal liver lesions. Am. J. Gastroenterol., 109 (9), 1328–1347. https://doi.org/10.1038/ajg.2014.213.
8. Mitrea, I. L, Ionita, M., Costin, I. I., Predoi, G., Avram, E., Rinaldi, L., ... Genchi, C. (2014). Occurrence and genetic characterization of Echinococcus granulosus in naturally infected adult sheep and cattle in Romania. Veterinary parasitology, 206 (3-4), 159–166. doi: 10.1016/j.vetpar.2014.10.028.
9. Pang, Q., Jin, H., Man, Z., Wang, Y., Yang, S., Li, Z., & Zhou, L. (2018). Radical versus conservative surgical treatment of liver hydatid cyst: a meta-analysis. Frontiers of medicine, 12 (3), 350–359. DOI:10.1007/s11684-017-0559-y.
10. WHO Informal Working Group (2003). International classification of ultrasound images in cystic echinococcosis for application in clinical and field epidemiological settings. Acta Tropica, 85 (2), 253–261. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0001-706X(02)00223-1.
11. World Health Organization (WHO). Echinococcosis (2019). Взято з https://www.who.int/health-topics/echinococcosis/#tab=tab_1.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.