The ways to improve the educational process while studying medical chemistry in modern conditions
Annotation. Ukraine's entry into the world community is impossible without the modernization of the higher education system aimed to train specialists at the level of international requirements. The purpose of this research was to uncover the potential of the medical chemistry subject for the development of the medical student's personality, the acquisition of practical skills, and the formation of the chemical competence of the future doctors by improving the educational process. In 2019–2020 the new scheme of conducting workshops on certain topics of the discipline “Medical Chemistry” was proposed that involved combining two related workshops in a way that the first class would be purely theoretical and the second would give students practical skills on the topic. It was tested on 450 first-year medical students. The effectiveness of the application of the new method of workshops was evaluated on the basis of comparison of indices of differential credit in medical chemistry (absolute and qualitative success, average mark). Student's parametric t-test was used to estimate the intergroup difference, while at the same time the frequency of the change was estimated by the F Fisher criterion. The methodology presented in the research provides the means of improvement of skills and knowledge of the discipline “Medical Chemistry”, forms students’ interest to the subjects, ensures better learning of theoretical content, skills in usage of chemical vessels and equipment, critical thinking, evaluating the results obtained and making conclusions. Use of proposed learning scheme in 2019–2020 statistically did not show significant difference in the grades of students, who study a discipline “Medical Chemistry” compared to normal learning process. On the other hand, it recorded statistically reliable increase of 14,2% in the absolute grades of 1st year students compared to 2018–2019 results, which demonstrates the potential of its use in an educational process.
2. Syrova, H. O., Petiunina, V. M., Shapoval, L. H., Andrieieva, S. V., & Nakonechna S. A. (2013). Intehratsiia u vykladanni khimichnykh dystsyplin yak odyn z shliakhiv optymizatsii navchalnoi diialnosti studentiv medychnykh VNZ. [Integration in the teaching of chemical disciplines as one of the ways of optimizing the educational activity of students of medical universities]. Orhanizatsiia navchalnoho protsesu studentiv z riznymy kvalifikatsiinymy rivniamy pidhotovky v KhNMU [Organization of educational process of students with different qualification levels of preparation at KhNMU], Materialy XLVII navchalno-metodychnoi konferentsii [Materials XLVII educational-methodical conference.]. Kharkiv: KhNMU.
3. Karpec', M. V. (2016). Mіzhdisciplіnarna іntegracіja – osnova profesіjnoji sprjamovanostі navchannja [Interdisciplinary integration – the basis of professional orientation of education]. Svіt medicini ta bіologіji – The world of medicine and biology, 4(58), 144–147.
4. Karpec', M.V. (2014). Rol' medichnoji hіmіji u formuvannі studenta-medika [The role of medical chemistry in the formation of a medical student]. Medichna osvіta – Medical Education, 3, 72–75.
5. Karpec', M. V. (2015). Znachennja laboratornih zanjat' u formuvannі doslіdnic'kih navichok studentіv [The importance of laboratory work in the formation of students' research skills]. Svіt medicini ta bіologіji – The world of medicine and biology, 3(52), 159–162. Vziato z https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=24717191.
6. Litvinova, M. G. & Litvinova, T. N. (2018). Sovremennyj kurs himii v medicinskom vuze: celi, soderzhanie, struktura [Modern course of chemistry in medical university: goals, content, structure]. Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovanija [Modern problems of science and education], 4. Vziato s http://www.science-education.ru/ru/article/view?id=27831.
7. Litvinova, T. N. & Judina, T. G. (2010). Podgotovka studentov medicinskogo vuza po himii – neobhodimoe uslovie kachestvennogo obrazovanija budushhego vracha [Preparation of students of a medical university in chemistry – a necessary condition for qualitative education of a future doctor]. Izvestija Samarskogo nauchnogo centra Rossijskoj akademii nauk – News of the Samara Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 3(2), 347–351.
8. Maslak, G. S., Dolgіh, G. V., Cokur, N. І. & Shevcova, K. V. (2017). Samostіjna robota studentіv – osnova visokogo profesіjnogo rіvnja fahіvcja (lіkarja). Dosvіd roboti kafedri bіohіmіji і medichnoji hіmіji DZ “Dnіpropetrovs'ka medichna akademіja MOZ Ukrajini” [Independent work of students – the basis of high professional level of specialist (doctor). Experience of the Department of Biochemistry and Medical Chemistry of the Dnepropetrovsk Medical Academy of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine]. Medichna osvіta – Medical Education, 1, 90–95.
9. Tokarik, G. V. (2016). Formuvannja praktichnih navichok u studentіv ІІ kursu medichnogo fakul'tetu pri vikladannі bіohіmіji [Formation of practical skills of 2nd year students of the medical faculty as a part of teaching biochemistry]. Vіsnik problem bіologіji і medicine – Bulletin of problems of biology and medicine, 2 (134), 156–158. Vziato z http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Vpbm_2016_4%282%29__33.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.