Mnemonics for better and faster memorization of histology information for English-speaking students of medical and dental faculties
Medical students need quickly and efficiently memorize and process large amounts of information, and mnemonics help them with this. Unfortunately, there are very few mnemonics in the medical literature dedicated to the study of histology. The purpose of the study is to develop techniques to facilitate the memorization of significant amounts of histology information for English-speaking medical and dental students. The first letter mnemonics (acronyms) and visual mnemonic were developed, and the rhymes mnemonic and some first letter mnemonics were selected. The mnemonics listed above include: mnemonics of cytology for memorizing membrane organelles, the functions of the Golgi complex and mitosis phases; blood mnemonics to remember the number and names of granulocytes and agranulocytes and stages of erythropoiesis; connective tissue mnemonics to remember the type of collagen fibers in bone and cartilage; muscle tissue mnemonics to remember the first type of muscle fibers and sarcomere structure; mnemonics of nerve tissue to remember the number of axons that are surrounded by Schwann cells; mnemonics of the nervous system to remember the origin of climbing fibers and the position of the deep cerebellar nuclei; mnemonics of the integumentary system to remember the location of the layers of the epidermis; mnemonics of the endocrine system to remember hormones that are produced by the pituitary basophils as well as adrenal cortex zones and hormones produced in these zones.
2. Kalysh, E. E. (2017). Yspolzovanye pryntsypov pedahohycheskoi mnemotekhnyky v prepodavanyy ynostrannoho yazyka. [Using the principles of pedagogical mnemonics in teaching of a foreign language]. Baikal Research Journal, 8 (1), DOI: 10.17150/2411-6262.2017.8(1).19.
3. Polshchykova, A. K. (2016). Mnemonyka kak metod zapomynanyia ynoiazychnykh slov [Mnemonics as a method of remembering foreign words]. Novaia nauka: opyt, tradytsyy, ynnovatsyy Mezhdunarodnoe nauchnoe peryodycheskoe yzdanye po ytoham Mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-praktycheskoi konferentsyy. Chast 3. – New science: experience, traditions, innovations International scientific periodical following the results of the International scientific-practical conference, 3, 88–89.
4. Carlos, E. Medina-De la Garza, Marisela, García-Hernández, María, de los Ángeles Castro-Corona. (2013). Visual mnemonics for serum protein electrophoresis. Med. Educ. Online, 18 (10). doi: 10.3402/meo.v18i0.22585.
5. McCabe, J. A., Osha, K. L., Roche, J. A., & Susser, J. A. (2013). Psychology Students’ Knowledge and Use of Mnemonics. Teaching of psychology, 40 (3), 183–192.
6. Ranzini, A. C. (2017). The anterior complex: A visual mnemonic to aid in identification of normal structures. J. Clin. Ultrasound, 45 (8), 477–479.
7. Sarah, Bellham (2019). Histology-world http://www.histology-world.com/.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.