A case of large spontaneous hemothorax in patient with pulmonary arterio-venous malformation of left lung
Spontaneous hemothorax is an uncommon condition that often requires immediate radical surgery. Pulmonary arteriovenous malformations (PAVM) is a rare lung vascular anomaly that progresses in time and in 8% of cases leads to either pulmonary hemorrhage or massive hemothorax as potentially fatal complications. We present a clinical case of spontaneous large hemothorax, which developed on PAVM and leaded to huge aneurysm of the lower lung lobe. The patient underwent left lower lobectomy successfully. Nowadays to prevent life-threatening complications of PAVM, all patients should undergone miniinvasive planned surgical technique - endovascular occlusion (embolization) of PAVM.
2. Cap, N. A. Vinogradova, I. A., & Nekrasova, E. G. (2011). Redkij porok razvitiya lyogkih u detej — arteriovenoznaya malformaciya nizhnej doli pravogo lyogkogo [A rare malformation of the lungs in children is arteriovenous malformation of the lower lobe of the right lung]. Detskaya bolnica – Children's Hospital, 1, 56–59.
3. Ali, H. A., Lippmann, M., Mundathaje, U., & Khaleeq, G. (2008). Spontaneous Hemothorax. Chest., 134 (5), 1056–65. doi: https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.08-0725.
4. Ference, B. A., Shannon, T. M., White, Jr. R. I., Zawin, M., Catherine, M., Burdge, C. M. (1994). Life-Threatening Pulmonary Hemorrhage With Pulmonary Arteriovenous Malformations and Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia. Chest., 106 (5), 1387–90. doi: https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.106.5.1387.
5. Khurshid, I., & Downie, G. H. (2002). Pulmonary arteriovenous malformation. Postgraduate Medical Journal, 78, 191–197. DOI: 10.1136/pmj.78.918.191.
6. Laroche, C. M., Wells, F., & Shneerson, J. (1992). Massive hemothorax due to enlarging arteriovenous fistula in pregnancy. Chest., 101, 1452–4. DOI: 10.1378/chest.101.5.1452.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.