Ultraviolet bactericidal irradiation of the air of classrooms for junior lyceum-students and its efficiency
Literature data and materials of their own research indicate that there are significant deficiencies in the air environment of the closed educational facilities of modern schools of lyceums, which is the reason for the high level of acute respiratory illness among younger pupils in the autumn-winter period and requires the introduction of a set of measures for its optimization. The aim of the study was to provide scientific substantiation of methodological approaches to the development and arrangement of stationary ultraviolet units and to control the quality of bactericidal irradiation of the air environment of educational facilities of junior high school pupils, to determine the degree of effectiveness of its impact on the state of the air environment and the level of morbidity of students with temporary disability. Hygienic, light engineering, microbiological and statistical methods of research were used in the work. Statistical processing of the data was carried out using generally accepted methods. In order to improve the air environment of the educational facilities of junior high school students, their wide aeration was used in the spring and autumn periods of the year. For the first time a system of stationary irradiators with artificial sources of bactericidal ultraviolet radiation by BUB-30 lamps was developed and implemented directly in the training rooms used during the autumn-winter period during breaks after the first and last lessons. The results of the measures showed positive changes on the part of the leading correlates of the microclimate of the air environment. Total sowing of air by microorganisms improved in all seasons of the year, and during the winter period decreased by 1.8 times. Selected as a criterion for assessing the effectiveness of airspace optimization in educational facilities, the level of morbidity with temporary disability of schoolchildren during third year (р˂0.001) determined the presence of dynamic shifts of favorable content, indicating an increase in the level of adaptive resources of the organism of younger schoolchildren-lyceum pupils.
2. Goncharuk, Ye. G. Bardov, V. G., Serheta, I. V., & Omel`chuk, S. T. (2009). Kompleksna ocinka stanu zdorov'ya ditej ta pidlitkiv yak gigiyenichna problema: metodologichni ta pry`kladni aspekty` (oglyad literatury`) [Comprehensive assessment of the health status of children and adolescents as a hygienic problem: methodological and applied aspects (literature review)]. Zhurnal AMN Ukrayiny`, 3, 523–541.
3 Dany`lenko, G. M., Podry`galo, L. V., Pashkevy`ch, S. A., (2008). Vply`v social`no-gigiyenichny`x ta social`no-pedagogichny`x faktoriv vnutrishn`oshkil`nogo seredovy`shha na funkcional`ny`j stan uchniv pochatkovoyi shkoly` [Influence of social and hygienic and socio-pedagogical factors of the internal school environment on the functional condition of elementary school pupils]. Vestnik gigienyi i epidemiologii – Bulletin of Hygiene and Epidemiology, 1, 114–118.
4. Konev, S. V., & Volotovskiy, I. D. (1979). Fotobiologiya [Photobiology]. Minsk. Izdatelstvo “Meditsina”.
5. Nagornaya, N. V., Dmitruk, V. I., & Volchenskaya, T. V., (2000). Optimizatsiya vozdushnoy sredyi shkolnyih pomescheniy kak metod massovoy profilaktiki i reabilitatsii respiratornoy i psihosomaticheskoy patologii [Optimization of the air environment of school premises as a method of mass prevention and rehabilitation of respiratory and psychosomatic pathology]. Zdorov’ya shkolyarIv na mezhI tisyacholIt – The health of schoolchildren at the turn of the millennium. HarkIv, 58–61.
6. Pol`ka, N. S., & Gozak, S. V., (2011). Gigiyenichne zabezpechennya umov zhy`ttyediyal`nosti ditej u zagal`noosvitnix zakladax [Hygienic provision of children living conditions in general educational institutions]. Gumanitarny`j visny`k – Humanitarian Herald, 23, 186–190.
7. Serdyuk, A. M., Pol`ka, N. S., & Yeremenko, G. M. (2004). Gigiyenichni problemy` zberezhennya zdorov'ya ditej v suchasny`x umovax reformuvannya osvity` v Ukrayini [Hygienic problems of preserving children's health in the current conditions of reforming education in Ukraine]. Gigiyena naseleny`x miscz` – Hygiene of populated places, 42, 402–406.
8. Serheta, I. V., & Redchits, N. A. (1998). Osobennosti zabolevaemosti s vremennoy utratoy trudosposobnosti i hronicheskim techeniem patologicheskogo protsessa sredi mladshih shkolnikov g. Vinnitsyi [Features of morbidity with temporary disability and chronic course of the pathological process among younger schoolchildren of Vinnitsya]. Gigiena naselennyih mest – Hygiene of populated places, 33, 299–303.
9. Stasyuk, L. A. (2002). Psy`xofiziologichni zasady` organizaciyi navchal`no-vy`xovnogo procesu pochatkovy`x klasiv pry` liceyi [Psychophysiological principles of the organization of the educational process of elementary classes at the lyceum]. Dovkillya ta zdorov'ya – Dovkillia ta zdorovia, 2, 31–34.
10. Shandala, M. G., Yuzbashev, V. G., & Vasserman, A. L. (1999). Ispolzovanie ultrafioletovogo bakteritsidnogo izlucheniya v borbe s infektsionnyimi zabolevaniyami [The use of ultraviolet bactericidal radiation in the fight against infectious diseases]. Gigiena i sanitariya – Gigiena i sanitariya, 5, 23–25.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.