The effect of hormonal disbalance on the aging rate change in the patients with arterial hypertension and comorbid endocrinopathies
Due to the growing number of patients with age-related diseases, the aim of the study was to investigate in the changes of aging rate (AR) in patients with comorbid course of arterial hypertension (H), type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) and subclinical hypothyroidism (SH) and to study the features of these changes depending on hormonal imbalance. 118 patients (63 women and 55 men, average age — 53.6±4.3 years) were divided into 3 groups: group 1 (n=37) with isolated H; group 2 (n=42) — with H and T2DM; group 3 (n=39) — with H, T2DM and SH. The investigation program included: measurement of anthropometric parameters (blood pressure, height, body weight (BW), body mass index (BMI)), carbohydrate and thyroid metabolism using standard methods, biological age (BA) by V.P. Voitenko et al. Statistical processing was performed using the Statistica for Windows 8.0 software package. When evaluating AR, physiological aging was found in 8 patients (21.6%) of group 1, in 4 (9.5%) patients of group 2 and 3 (7.7%) of patients in group 3. In the overwhelming majority of the examined patients, premature aging (PA) was noted, however, the acceleration of PA between patients of groups 2 and 3 was not differ significantly (p>0.05). The increase in AR in group 2 patients was accompanied by an increase in BA by 7.2 years, in 3 group patients — by 7.3 years compared with their chronological age. A correlation analysis revealed a positive relationship between BMI and coefficient of aging rate (CAR) (r=0.679; p<0.05); BMI and BA (r=0.562; p<0.05) and CAR and the TSH level (r=0.050; p=0.388) in the 3rd group. Thus, the presence of hypertension and comorbid endocrinopathies — T2DM and SH significantly increases the AR and when assessing the effect of endocrine disorders, the presence of T2DM is more important than SH.
2. Barhudaryan, M. S., Sarkisyan, G. T., & Kogan, V. Yu. (2014). Sravnitelnaya otsenka tempa stareniya i biologicheskogo vozrasta rabotnikov umstvennogo i fizicheskogo truda [Comparative assessment of the rate of aging and the biological age of workers in mental and physical labor]. Meditsinskaya nauka Armenii NAN RA – Medical Science of Armenia NAN RA, LIV (12), 81–87.
3. Ismailov, S. I., Gulyamova, H. R., Ahmedova, Sh. U., & Maksutova, N. N. (2015). Vzaimosvyaz saharnogo diabeta i tireoidnoy patologii (obzor literaturyi) [The relationship of diabetes and thyroid pathology (literature review)]. Mezhdunarodnyiy endokrinologicheskiy zhurnal – International medical journal, 3 (67), 148–152.
4. Chebotarev, D. F., Korkushko, O. V., & Shatilo, V. B. (2001) Prezhdevremennoe starenie: prichinyi, profilaktika, lechenie [Premature Aging: Causes, Prevention, Treatment]. Meditsinskiy vestnik – Medical Herald, 1, 5–24.
5. Shestakova, T. P. (2016). Subklinicheskiy gipotireoz – sovremennyiy vzglyad na problemu [Subclinical hypothyroidism – a modern view of the problem]. Russkiy meditsinskiy zhurnal – Russian Medical Journal, 1, 6–8. Взято с https://www.rmj.ru/articles/endokrinologiya/Subklinicheskiy_gipotireoz__sovremennyy_vzglyadna_problemu/
6. Baumgartner, C., Blum, M. R., & Rodondi, N. (2014). Subclinical hypothyroidism: summary of evidence in 2014. Swiss medical weekly, 144, 14058. doi: 10.4414/smw.2014.14058.
7. Franceschi, C., Bonafé, M., Valensin, S., Olivieri, F., De Luca, M., Ottaviani, E., De Benedictis, G. (2000). Inflamm-aging. An evolutionary perspective on immunosenescence. Annals of the New York Academy of Science, 908, 244–254. doi: 10.1111/j.1749-6632.2000.tb06651.x.
8. Franceschi, C., Garagnani, P., Morsiani, C., Conte, M., Santoro, A., Grignolio, A., … Salvioli, S. (2018). The Continuum of Aging and Age-Related Diseases: Common Mechanisms but Different Rates. Frontiers in Medicine (Lausanne), 5, 61. doi: 10.3389/fmed.2018.00061.
9. Franceschi, C., Ostan, R., Mariotti, S., Monti, D., & Vitale, G. (2019). The Aging Thyroid: A Reappraisal Within the Geroscience Integrated Perspective. Endocrine Reviews, er.2018-00170. doi.org/10.1210/er.2018-00170.
10. Garrido, A., Cruces, J., Ceprián, N., Vara, E., & de la Fuente, M. (2019). Oxidative-Inflammatory Stress in Immune Cells from Adult Mice with Premature Aging. International Journal of Molecular Science, 20 (3), 769. doi: 10.3390/ijms20030769.
11. Inzucchi, S. E., Bergenstal, R. M., Buse, J. B., Diamant, M., Ferrannini, E., Nauck, M., … Matthews, D. R. (2015). Management of Hyperglycemia in Type 2 Diabetes, 2015: A Patient-Centered Approach: Update to a Position Statement of the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes. Diabetes Care, 38 (1),140–149. doi: 10.2337/dc14-2441.
12. Izzo, C., Carrizzo, A., Alfano, A., Virtuoso, N., Capunzo, M., Calabrese, M., … Vecchione, C. (2018). The Impact of Aging on Cardio and Cerebrovascular Diseases. International Journal of Molecular Science, 19 (2), 481. doi: 10.3390/ijms19020481.
13. Mancia, G., Fagard, R., Narkiewicz, K., Redón, J., Zanchetti, A., Böhm, M., … Zannad, F. (2013). 2013 ESH/ESC Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension: the Task Force for the management of arterial hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Journal of Hypertension, 31 (7), 1281–1357. doi: 10.1097/01.hjh.0000431740.32696.cc.
14. Pearce, S. H., Brabant, G., Duntas, L. H., Monzani, F., Peeters, R. P., Razvi, S., & Wemeau, J. L. (2013). 2013 ETA Guideline: Management of Subclinical Hypothyroidism. European Thyroid Journal, 2, 215–228. doi: 10.1159/000356507.
15. Yang, C., Lu, M., Chen, W., He, Z., Hou, X., Feng, M., … Zhao, J. (2019). Thyrotropin aggravates atherosclerosis by promoting macrophage inflammation in plaques. The Journal of Experimental Medicine, 216 (5), 1182–1198. doi: 10.1084/jem.20181473.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.