Dynamics of clinical characteristics and biomarkers of coagulation hemostasis within the application of the endovenous electric welding for varicose disease of the lower extremities
The article presents the results of prospective longitudinal study, in which the dynamics of fibrinogen, D-dimer, the platelet count levels have been evaluated in comparison with clinical changes within the application of endovenous electric welding (EVEW) in automatic mode for varicose vein treatment in 33 patients. The statistical analysis of the results was performed using SPSS Inc. software. (Chicago, IL, USA, version 22.0). One week after the operation, a complete obliteration of the great saphenous vein, as determined by ultrasonography, was observed in 26 patients (78.8%), while in 7 patients, a remaining lumen was registered (21.2%); after 12 months, the complete occlusion of the trunk without signs of recanalization or varicose disease progression was determined in 100% patients. After 1 week, the symptoms of venous stasis (edema, heaviness in the lower extremities) disappeared in 32 (97%) patients; in one case, the edema remained until the day 12. The great saphenous vein occlusion after EVEW application was accompanied by changes in coagulation homeostasis, which reflected in the dynamics of D-dimer, fibrinogen and the platelet count. One week after surgery, these parameters were higher in patients with incomplete occlusion, indicating the maintenance of coagulation activity of the body as a component of treatment aimed to complete the process of insufficient vein obliteration. Gradual decrease in platelet count as one of the markers of cell apoptosis indicates a continuous decrease in the activity of venous wall inflammation. No blood flow impairment in the deep veins of the lower extremities or thrombophlebitic changes in the trunk of the great saphenous vein or its tributaries have been detected.
2. Savoliuk, S. I., Horbovets, V. S., Khodos, V. A., & Herashchenko, R. A. (2017). Endovenozna elektrozvariuvalna obliteratsiia velykoi pidshkirnoi veny u likuvanni varykoznoi khvoroby [Endovascular electric welding abstraction of large subcutaneous veins in the treatment of varicose veins]. Klinichna khirurhiia – Clinical Surgery, 1, 29–32.
3. Bayer, A., Kahle, B., Horn, M., Recke, A. L., Keck, T., & Kleemann, M. (2019). Modern treatment of varicose veins. Dtsch Med. Wochenschr., 144 (9), 606–623.
4. Branisteanu, D. E., Feodor, T., Baila, S., Mitea, I. A., & Vittos, O. (2019). Impact of chronic venous disease on quality of life: Results of vein alarm study. Exp. Ther. Med., 17 (2):1091–1096. doi: 10.3892/etm.2018.7054.
5. Brittenden, J., Cotton, S. C., Elders, A., Ramsay, C. R., Norrie, J. (2014). A randomized trial comparing treatments for varicose veins. N. Engl. J. Med., 371, 1218–1227.
6. Fabi, S. G., Peterson, J. D., Goldman, M. P., & Guiha, I (2012). An investigation of coagulation cascade activation and induction of fibrinolysis using foam sclerotherapy of reticular veins. Dermatol. Surg., 38 (3), 367–372. doi: 10.1111/j.1524-4725.2011.02184.x.
7. Flore, R., Ponziani, F. R., Gerardino, L., Santoliquido, A., Di Giorgio, A., Lupascu, A., ... Tondi, P. (2015). Biomarkers of low-grade inflammation in primary varicose veins of the lower limbs. Eur. Rev. Med. Pharmacol. Sci., 19 (4), 557–62.
8. Fokin, A. A., Borsuk, D. A., Vasiliev, I. S., & Shaldina, M. V. (2018). Damage to subcutaneous nerves in endovenous laser coagulation of the great saphenous vein. Angiol. Sosud. Khir., 24 (4), 81–87. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30531774.
9. Rabe, E., Guex, J. J., Puskas, A., Scuderi, A., Fernandez Quesada, F., & Coordinators, V.C.P. (2012). Epidemiology of chronic venous disorders in geographically diverse populations: results from the Vein Consult Program. Int Angiol., 31 (2), 105–15. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22466974.
10. Rathbun, S., Zander, R., Marlar, R. A., Kota, P., Zhang, Y., Whitsett, T., & Stoner, J. A. (2016). Evaluation of Clinical Characteristics and Biomarkers after Endovenous Foam Sclerotherapy for Venous Disorders. J. Clin. Trials., 6, 263. doi:10.4172/2167-0870.1000263.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.