Tobacco smoking among first-year students of the medical university
According to the World Health Organization, 5.4 million people die each year from smoking. The problem of smoking has become prevalent among young people, including high school students and university students, including medical students. The purpose of the work is to analyze the state of smoking among the medical workers of Ukraine, students of medical universities and attitudes to smoking of students of the 1st course of National Pirogov Memorial Medical University, Vinnytsya based on the results of a sociological survey of 2017, to identify measures to reduce tobacco use. In 2017, a sociological survey of doctors and first-year students of the National Pirogov Memorial Medical University, Vinnytsya was done. It has been established that the problem of tobacco smoking is already relevant from the 1st year of study at a medical university: among Ukrainian 1st year students more than one fifth of the total number of smokers among 1st year foreign students the habit of tobacco smoking is formed in more than 38% of first-year students. The overwhelming number of medical students began to use tobacco at the age of 16-17 years. For more than 30% of Ukrainian respondents and almost 70% of foreigners, the main factor that prompted tobacco smoking was the influence of a company of friends, but more than 60% of respondents consider stress to be the main reason for starting smoking. Following the example of parents, 37% of Ukrainian and 22% of foreign students began to smoke. Almost all medical students are aware of the dangers of smoking. At the moment, 13% of Ukrainian and 7% of foreign students believe that the habit of tobacco reduces respect for them and the school. The majority of Ukrainian students (70%) and 43.75% of foreign students who smoke reported that they have a goal to get rid of their bad habit in the near future. According to the results of a sociological survey, anti-tobacco measures were proposed. At the moment, 13% of Ukrainian and 7% of foreign students believe that the habit of tobacco reduces respect for them in school. The majority of Ukrainian students (70%) and 43.75% of foreign students, smoke, noticed, with the aim to get rid of the bad habit in the near future. Thus, smoking is common among first-year medical students; anti-tobacco activities should be part of a preventive comprehensive program and form the basis of a healthy lifestyle.
2. Boiko, D. M., Boiko, M. H., Chornukha, V. L., Strashko, Ye. Yu., & Boiko O. S. (2014). Rozpovsiudzhenist tiutiunopalinnia sered maibutnikh likariv – dynamichne sposterezhennia [The prevalence of smoking among future doctors is a dynamic observation]. KHYST, Vseukrainskyi zhurnal molodykh vchenykh – CHIST, All-Ukrainian Journal of Young Scientists, 16, 258. http://bim.co.ua/
3. Hlobalne opytuvannia doroslykh shchodo vzhyvannia tiutiunu (Global Adult Tobacco Survey – GATS) [Global adult tobacco survey (Global Adult Tobacco Survey – GATS)]. (2017). Kiev, 240–243. Retrieved from: https://www.kiis.com.ua/materials/pr/20180214_GATS/Full%20Report%20GATS%20Ukraine%202017%20UKR.pdf
4. Kontrol nad tiutiunom v Ukraini. Druhyi Natsionalnyi zvit [Tobacco control in Ukraine. Second National Report]. (2014). Kiev: MOZ Ukrainy, DU “Ukrainskyi instytut stratehichnykh doslidzhen MOZ Ukrainy”. Vyd-vo: TOV “Aveha”. ISBN 978-966-8953-26-2
5. Krasovskyi, K. S., & Andreieva, T. I. (2008). Hlobalna tiutiunova epidemiia i protystoiannia yii v Ukraini [The Global Tobacco Epidemic and Confronting It in Ukraine]. Skhidnoievropeiskyi zhurnal hromadskoho zdorovia – Eastern European Journal of Public Health, 4, 66–70.
6. Kurinnia, vzhyvannia alkoholiu ta narkotychnykh rechovyn sered pidlitkiv, yaki navchaiutsia: poshyrennia y tendentsii v Ukraini [Smoking, alcohol and drug use among adolescents in education: the spread and tendencies in Ukraine]. (2015). (2015). Kyiv: Polihrafichnyi tsentr “Foliant” – Kiev: Polygraphic Center “Folio”. ISBN 978-966-8474-91-0
7. Kurpita, V. (2018). Kurinnia – tse khvoroba, kotru treba likuvaty [Smoking is a disease to be treated]. Retrieved from: https://life.pravda.com.ua/columns/2018/05/31/231291/
8. Marchenko, D., & Rozsokhach, S. O. (2015). Problema kurinnia sered pidlitkiv. Vseukrainska internet-konferentsiia lideriv uchnivskoho samovriaduvannia [The problem of smoking among adolescents. All-Ukrainian Internet Conference of Leaders of Student Self-Government]. Retrieved from: http://internet-conf.blogspot.com/2015/02/blog-post_44.html
9. Posibnyk z likuvannia tiutiunovoi zalezhnosti zamist posibnyka z prypynennia tiutiunokurinnia [Tobacco Treatment Guide instead of the Tobacco Cessation Guide]. (2016). European Network for Smoking and Tobacco Prevention aisbl (ENSP). ISBN: 978-618-82526-4-6. Retrieved from: elearning-ensp.eu/assets/Ukrainian%20version.pdf
10. Potapenko, Yu. (2016). Palyty vzhe ne modno, do toho zh, yak i ranishe, shkidlyvo [Smoking is no longer fashionable, besides, as before, it is harmful]. Holos Ukrainy – Voice of Ukraine, 13, 57.
11. Profilaktyka palinnia sered ditei ta pidlitkiv. Zakhody shchodo profilaktyky kurinnia [Prevention of smoking among children and adolescents. Measures to prevent smoking]. (2016). Retrieved from: http://www.doktor-dnepr.kiev.ua/index.php/s5-flex-menu-1360/ostanni-novini/532-kyr
12. Piat prychyn kynuty kuryty [Five Reasons To Quit Smoking]. (2018). Retrieved from: http://moz.gov.ua/article/health/5-prichin-kinuti-kuriti
13. Resursnyi tsentr HURT – GURT Resource Center. (2018). Ekonomichni aspekty opodatkuvannia tiutiunovykh vyrobiv v Ukraini [Economic Aspects of Taxation of Tobacco Products in Ukraine]. Retrieved from: https://gurt.org.ua/news/informator/36381/
14. Rudavka, S. I. (2016). Sotsialno-ekonomichni problemy tiutiunopalinnia v Ukraini ta suchasni pidkhody u yikh vyrishenni [Socio-economic problems of tobacco smoking in Ukraine and modern approaches to their solution.]. Visnyk Vinnytskoho natsionalnoho medychnoho universytetu – Reports of the Vinnytsia National Medical University, 20(2), 513–518.
15. Stepurko, T. H., Semyhina, T. V., Barska, Yu. H., Zakhozha, V., & Kharchenko, N. (ukl.) (2018). Indeks zdorovia. Ukraina-2018: Rezultaty zahalnonatsionalnoho doslidzhennia [Health Index. Ukraine-2018: Results of nationwide research]. Kiev. UDC: 614.2(477)(083.94)(062.551)
16. Trukhmanova, S. L., Netrebin, L. I., Stelmashchuk, A. O., & Trukhmanova, O. I. (2017). Stavlennia studentiv 1 kursu VNMU im. M.I.Pyrohova do tiutiunopalinnia [Attitudes of students of the first year of VNMU them M.I. Pirogov to tobacco smoking]. Visnyk Vinnytskoho natsionalnoho medychnoho universytetu – Reports of the Vinnytsia National Medical University, 21(2), 518.
17. Shchorichni zbytky Ukrainy vid kurinnia stanovliat 3 miliardy dolariv [The annual loss from smoking in Ukraine is $ 3 billion]. (2017). Ekonomichna pravda – Economic truth. Retrieved from: https://www.epravda.com.ua/news/2017/01/20/618214/
18. Alves, J., Perelman, J., Ramos, E., & Kunst, A. E. (2018). The emergence of socioeconomic inequalities in smoking over the life-course. Tobacco Prevention & Cessation, 4, A70. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18332/tpc/91098
19. Baheiraei, A., Mirghafourvand, M., Mohammadi, E., & Majdzadeh, R. (2016). Experiences of cigarette smoking among Iranian educated women: A qualitative study. Int. J. Prev. Med. [serial online], 7, 93. Retrieved from: http://www.ijpvmjournal.net/text.asp?2016/7/1/93/186585. DOI: 10.4103/2008-7802.186585
20. Balogh, E., Faubl, N., Riemenschneider, H., Balázs, P., Bergmann, A., Cseh, K. … Kiss, I. (2018). Cigarette, waterpipe and e-cigarette use among an international sample of medical students. Cross-sectional multicenter study in Germany and Hungary. BMC Public Health, 18, 591. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-018-5494-6
21. Gercek, C. (2018). An analysis of university students who are smokers according to their levels of addiction. SHS Web of Conferences, 48. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1051/shsconf/20184801007
22. Demi, M., Teloniatis, S., Vyzikidou, V.-K., Bakelas, G., Evangelopoulou, V., Vardavas, C., & Tzortzi, A. (2018). Behrakis Panagiotis Smoking Prevalence in Greece. Tobacco Prevention & Cessation, 4, A7. DOI: 10.18332/tpc/90109
23. Esteve, F. (2018). Smoke-free legislation in 6 European countries. Tobacco Prevention & Cessation, 4, A12. DOI: 10.18332/tpc/91099
24. Lozano-Polo A., Árense Gonzalo J., Herrera-Gutiérrez E., Giménez Navarro A. (2018). Profile of the tobacco and cannabis consumer students of the university of the Murcia. Tobacco Prevention & Cessation, 4, A11. DOI: 10.18332/tpc/90709
25. Radzka, A., Ciechański, K., Tkaczyk, J., Brożyna, K., & Piecewicz Szczęsna H. (2018). Consciousness of the consequences of smoking cigarettes and the prevalence of cigarette smoking among medical students. Journal of Education, Health and Sport. 8(7), 189-203. doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1299051
26. Mechili Aggelos, E., Girvalaki, C., Kicaj, E., Risilia, R., Breshanaj, A., Filippidis, F., & Vardavas C. (2018). Tobacco Addiction in Young Population and Factors Associated with Motivation to Quit; The Case of University of Vlora, Albania Students, Tobacco Prevention & Cessation, 4, A17. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18332/tpc/90438
27. Przewozniak, K. (2018). Generation Y (Millennials) toward health and tobacco – a look at their needs, beliefs and behaviours. Tobacco Prevention & Cessation, 4, A27. DOI: 10.18332/tpc/90654
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.