Coagulation and fibrinolytic potential of blood plasma in patients with stage VD CKD, treated by program hemodialysis, as the markers of thrombotic risk
Thrombotic complications, associated with hemostatic system disturbances in patients with stage VD chronic kidney disease (CKD), occur rather frequently. Hence, the search of early available biological markers in diagnosis of this complication is of great significance. Objective – to study coagulation potential of blood plasma in patients with stage VD CKD, treated by program hemodialysis, and to determine the markers of thrombotic risk. 88 patients (aged 26–65) with stage VD CKD, treated by program hemodialysis, were studied. Hemostatic potential of blood was determined by spectrophotometry; soluble fibrin level — by two-site enzyme-linked immune-sorbent quantitative assay; D-dimer — by enzyme immunoassay using monoclonal antibodies to D-dimer epitopes; protein C activity — by spectrophotometry with wavelength 405 nm; fibrinogen contents — by spectrophotometry with wavelength 280 nm. Statistical processing was performed by methods of variation statistics and correlation analysis. All patients were found to have significant increase of soluble fibrin level (4.03±0.15÷4.62±0.31 mg/ml) (р <0.001), but there was a group of patients (n=25), who demonstrated increased coagulation potential, (р <0.001), significantly prolonged fibrinolysis (р <0.001) and increased soluble fibrin concentration (5.36±0.61÷5.78±0.82 µg/ml) (р <0.001) along with the tendency to decreased C protein level and no response of D-dimer to increased soluble fibrin level. Detected changes in coagulation properties of blood plasma can serve the markers of thrombotic risk. Thus, the patients with stage VD CKD, treated by program hemodialysis, have high risk of thrombosis, associated with high concentration of soluble fibrin and fibrinogen. But in this category of patients, rather low fibrinolytic potential, as well as the level of natural anticoagulant — C protein — is observed. The studied homeostatic parameters can be used as the markers of thrombotic risk.
2. Luhovsʹkoy, E. V., Komisarenko, S. V., Platonova, T. M., Rublenko, A. M., Fishchenko, V. O., Kolesnikova, I. M. … Chernyshenko, M. (2013). Vyznachennya vmistu rozchynnoho fibrynu ta D-dymeru dlya prohnozuvannya trombotychnykh uskladnenʹ za endoprotezuvannya kulʹshovoho suhloba [Determination of soluble fibrin and D-dimer contents for prognosis of thrombotic complications]. Laboratorna diahnostyka – Laboratory diagnostics, 2 (64), 3–8.
3. Platonova, T. N., Zaichko, N. V., Chernyshenko, T. M., Gornitskaya, O. V., Gryshchuk, V. I., & Korolev, V. A. (2010). Otsenka informativnosti i prognosticheskoy znachimosti traditsionnykh skriningovykh i dopolnitel'nykh laboratornykh testov dlya diagnostiki trombofilii [Assessment of informative and prognostic value of conventional screening and additional laboratory tests in diagnostics of thrombophilia]. Laboratorna diahnostyka – Laboratory diagnostics, 4 (54), 3–10.
4. Rublenko, A. M., Urvant, L. P., Makogonenko, Y. M., Platonova, T. M., Tsap, R. Y., Chernyshenko, T. M. … Luhovskoi, E. V. (2011). Vplyv aktyvatora proteyinu C na zahalʹnyy hemostatychnyy potentsial plazmy krovi za endoprotezuvannya tazostehnovoho suhloba [The influence of protein C activator on general hemostatic potential of blood plasma for endoprosthetics of the hip joint]. Ukrainskyi biokhimichnyi zhurnal – Ukrainian Journal of Biochemistry, 83 (5), 32–38.
5. Sokolovska, A. S., Platonova, T. M., Grynenko, T. V. & Chernyshenko, T. M. (2002). Porivnyalʹna kharakterystyka metodiv vyznachennya vmistu fibrynohenu v plazmi krovi [Comparative characteristics of methods for determining the content of fibrinogen in blood plasma]. Eksperymentalna ta klinichna fiziolohiia i biokhimiia – Experimental and clinical physiology and biochemistry, 3, 82–86.
6. Solymos, S. (2003). Risk factors tromboembolism: patophysiology and detection. CMAI, 8, 991–994. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC80549/
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.