The investigation of the relationship between biofilm-forming properties of clinical strains of p.aeruginosa and their sensitivity to antiseptic medicines
High antimicrobial properties of antiseptics determine the scientific interest in the study of their effect on the biofilm formation of clinically significant pathogens and the detection of a probable dependence between the sensitivity of bacteria to them and the ability to form biofilms. The aim — was to study the biofilm-forming properties of clinical strains of P.aeruginosa, depending on their sensitivity to various antiseptic medicines. 30 clinical strains of P.aeruginosa were isolated and identified from the patients with infectious complications of different areas who had been treated at the burn, intensive care and surgical units. The study of biofilm-forming properties of clinical isolates of P.aeruginosa was performed by using the spectrophotometric technique by G.D. Christensen (MtP microtiter plate test). The sensitivity assessment of the derived strains to antiseptics (decametoxine, decasan, miramistin, chlorhexidine) was done by double serial dilutions according to the standard procedure approved by the Order №167 of the Ministry of Public Health of Ukraine. The statistical processing of the results obtained was carried out by “Microsoft Excel 2010” software package. In order to determine the relationship between the biofilm formation and sensitivity to antiseptic medicines of P. aeruginosa strains, we determined the correlation coefficient (r-Pearson coefficient). The clinical strains of P.aeruginosa were found to be the most sensitive to decasan and miramistin, and their MICs did not differ 70,31±25,98 mg/ml and 68,5±33,20 mg/ml respectively. Chlorhexidine has been shown a reducing of antimicrobial efficiency against P.aeruginosa (MIC 115,62±59,75 μg/ml). High biofilm-forming properties of clinical isolates P.aeruginosa have been proved. The optical density of the biofilms formed by these microorganisms was 0,674±0,17 density units for 24 hours of cultivation. A direct correlation between the sensitivity of strains P.aeruginosa to decamethoxine, decasan, miramistin and their biofilm-forming properties was established. The sensitivity of the clinical strains to chlorhexidine did not depend on their biofilm potential. Clinical strains of P.aeruginosa have high biofilm-forming properties and retain sensitivity to antiseptic medicines based on cationic surfactant antiseptics. Decamethoxine and miramistin provide the highest antimicrobial action on P.aeruginosa isolates. The sensitivity of P.aeruginosa to decamethoxine, decasan, miramistin has shown to be in a direct correlation with their biofilm-forming properties.
2. Kochneva, O. V. & Petrenko, L. O. (2016). Vivchennya shlyahiv podolannya rezistentnosti mikroorganizmiv do himioterapevtichnih preparativ [Study of ways to overcome the resistance of microorganisms to chemotherapeutic drugs]. Medytsyna tretoho tysiacholittia, Materialy mizhvuzivskoi konferentsii molodykh vchenykh ta studentiv. Kharkiv: (b.v.) – Medicine of the Third Millennium, Materials of the Intercollegiate Conference of Young Scientists and Students. Kharkiv: (w.p.).
3. Nazarchuk, O. A. & Faustova, M. O. (2017). Bioplivkoutvoryuyuchi vlastivosti klinIchnih shtamiv grampozitivnih mikroorganizmiv [Biofilm-forming properties of clinical strains of gram-positive microorganisms]. Biomedical and Biosocial Anthropology, 29, 6–9.
4. Paliy, G. K., Nazarchuk, O. A., Bobir, V. V., Gonchar, O. O., Gridina, T. L., Paliy, D. V. … Burkot, V. M. Otsinka antibakterialnih ta protigribkovih vlastivostey suchasnih antiseptikiv [Evaluation of antibacterial and antifungal properties of modern antiseptics]. Mikrobiologiya i biotehnologiya – Microbiology and Biotechnology, 4 (32), 67–74. https://doi.org/10.18524/2307-4663.2015.4(32).57465.
5. Pro zatverdzhennya metodychnykh vkazivok “Vyznachennya chutlyvosti mikroorhanizmiv do antybakterialʹnykh preparativ” [“On Approval of Training Guidance “Assessment of the sensitivity of microorganisms to antibiotics”]. Nakaz Ministerstva okhorony zdorovia Ukrayiny № 167 (05.04.2007 р.). Retrieved from: http//www.moz.gov.ua.
6. Selyuk, M. N., Kozachok, N. N. & Selyuk, O. V. (2013). Puti resheniya antibiotikorezistentnosti [Ways of solving antibiotic resistance]. Semeynaya meditsina, 2, 28–33.
7. Paliy, G. K., Faustova, M. O., Nazarchuk, O. A. & Paliy, D. V. (2017). Suchasni aspekti zastosuvannya antiseptikiv dlya profilaktiki, likuvannya zapalnih zahvoryuvan porozhnini rota [Modern aspects of the use of antiseptics for the prevention, treatment of inflammatory diseases of the oral cavity]. Liki – lyudini. Suchasni problemi farmakoterapii i priznachennya likarskih zasobiv, Materiali I Mizhnarodnoi naukovo-praktichnoi konferentsii, 1, 224–231. Kharkiv: (b.v.).
8. Chekman, I. S., Bobyrov, V. M. & Kresiun, V. Y. (2011). Farmakolohiia: pidruchnyk dlia studentiv stomatomatolohichnykh fakultetiv vyshchykh medychnykh navchalnykh zakladiv [Pharmacology: a textbook for the stud. stomat fac. of higher med. ed. Establishments]. Vinnytsia: Nova knyha.
9. Alhede, M., Bjarnsholt, T., Givskov, M. & Alhede, M. (2014). Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms: mechanisms of immune evasion. Adv. Appl. Microbiol, 86 (1), 40.
10. Alipour, N., Karagoz, A., Taner, A., Gaeini, N., Alipour, N., Zeytin, H. … Durmaz, R. (2017). Outbreak of hospital infection from biofilm-embedded pan drug-resistant Pseudomonas aeroginosa, due to a contaminated bronchoscope. Tap Chi Y Hoc Du Phong, 2 (2). doi: 10.21767/2572-5483.100014.
11. Christensen, G. D., Simpson, W. A., Younger, J. J., Baddour, L. M., Barrett, F. F., Melton, D. M., & Beachey, E. H. (1985). Adherence of coagulase-negative staphylococci to plastic tissue culture plates: a quantitative model for the adherence of staphylococci to medical devices. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 22(6). 996–1006.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.