Antimicrobial, physico-chemical properties of nitrogen-containing preparations of derivates of menthol, quinoline and phenol
Successful research by scientists of new synthetic substances of various chemical groups contributes to the broadening of the arsenal of antimicrobial drugs for the prevention and treatment of purulent-inflammatory diseases. Antimicrobial drugs, as a rule, suppress pathogenic, invasive, adhesive properties and reduce the resistance of microorganisms to antibiotics in pathogens of supportive inflammatory diseases; significantly increase the effectiveness of treatment of diseases of infectious origin. The purpose of the study was to study the physicochemical, antimicrobial properties of derivatives of menthol, phenol and quinoline. The results of the study of physicochemical, antimicrobial properties of six chemical compounds of menthol, quinoline, and phenol derivatives using the principle of complex research, in which physicochemical, microbiological methods were used, are presented. There was shown that quaternary ammonium compounds of the menthol derivatives were alike white powders with a molecular weight of 581–693, a melting point of 990 to 1850° C. The chemicals are soluble in water, ethanol. Quinoline preparations have a molecular weight of 687; 756, melting point 178–2000°C; dissolved in ethanol. Compounds of phenol had a molecular weight of 111, 112, a melting point of 1020, 1100°C was soluble in ethanol. It has been established that synthesized substances possess a wide spectrum of antimicrobial action on Gram-positive, Gram-negative bacteria, Candida albicans. In antibiotic resistant strains of Staphylococci no markers of resistance to drugs containing in the molecule menthol, phenol, quinoline were found. In complex physical and chemical systems, it was important to study the coefficient of surface tension of solutions of drugs, which was an important objective physical indicator of the molecular state of various drugs. Distilled water was used as a control. Experiments were performed according to a well-known technique. According to the results of the study, in the control the surface tension of water was it was found to be 55,70 dn/cm2. In an experiment with 0,1% solution of decamethoxin; the drug number 2 was 40,80 dn/cm2 and 38,20 dn/cm2. In derivatives of quinoline (DN, drug № 4), was 39,60 dn/cm2 and 34,50 dn/cm2. Solutions of phenol (preparations №5; №6) were characterized by surface tension 32,40–43,50 dn/cm2. Surface tension of solutions of preparations depended on their chemical structure. The antimicrobial properties of the preparations were determined on the museum and clinical strains of microorganisms, which had typical tynctorial, morphological, and cultural characteristics. For a complete biological characterization in strains of Staphylococci, the formation of coagulase enzymes, lecithovitellase, hemolysins, and mannitol fermentation in anaerobic conditions were studied. At 12 museum and clinical strains of bacteria, bacteriostatic and bactericidal effects of six drugs, which are derivatives of menthol (DK, №2), quinoline (DN, №4), phenol (preparations №5, №6), have been detected. Derivatives of menthol acted bactericidal to Staphylococci at doses of 0,48-3,9 μg/ml; Quinoline derivatives in the range of 7,8–15,6 μg/ml; derivatives of phenol 31,25–62,5 μg/ml, respectively. Staphylococci were highly resistant to phenol derivatives (31,25–62,5 μg/ml). Gram-negative bacteria exhibited high resistance to quinoline and phenol derivatives (250–500 μg/ml). Summing up the results of determining the antimicrobial action of antiseptics derivatives of menthol, quinoline, it should be emphasized that the drugs have high activity in relation to Staphylococci (0,24–7,8 μg/ml). Phenol derivatives have low bacteriostatic and bactericidal effects on Gram-negative bacteria (125–500 μg/ml), which limits their use in medicine.
2. Palii, H. K. (Red.). (1997). Antyseptyky u profilaktytsi y likuvanni infektsii. [Antiseptics in the prevention and treatment of infections]. Kyiv: Zdorovia
3. Kampf, H. (Red.) (2005). Hyhyena ruk v zdravookhranenyy. [Hand hygiene in health care.] – Kyiv: Zdorovia – Kiev: Health.
4. Palii, I. H. (1995). Suchasni aspekty profilaktychnoi i terapevtychnoi antyseptyky ta khimioterapii. [Modern aspects of preventive and therapeutic antiseptics and chemotherapy]. Infektsiini khvoroby – Infectious diseases, 1, 36–39.
5. Diakov, V. A. (1983). Mekhanyka y molekuliarnaia fyzyka. Metodycheskye ukazanyia k laboratornomu praktykumu. [Mechanics and molecular physics. Methodical instructions to laboratory practice]. Vynnytsa.
6. Nekrasova, L. S., Svyta, V. M., Hlushkevych, T. H., Tomchuk, V. V., Zherebko, N. M. … Pokas, O. V. (Red.). (2007). Vyznachennia chutlyvosti mikroorhanizmiv do antybakterialnykh preparativ. [Determination of the sensitivity of microorganisms to antibacterial drugs.]. Kyiv: MOZ Ukrainy – Kiev. Ministry of Health of Ukraine.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.