Modern possibilities ofair pollution estimation by pig industryenterprises
The main problem of pig farms in Ukraine is the mismatch of their capacity to the actual size of the sanitary protection zones, which leads to the risk of negative influence of odor pollution on the health of the population living in nearby settlements. The purpose of the study was to comprehensively assess the pollution of ambient air by emissions from pig breeding complexes containing dust particles and chemicals with pronounced odor properties. The research was conducted between 2012 and 2015 and covered the activities of 14 modern medium and high capacity pig farms. In the course of the study, natural measurements of ambient air pollution were carried out and materials of sanitary and epidemiological examination of these enterprises were examined. Within the framework of the pilot project, a survey of the local population was carried out and a mathematical model of the concentrations of the investigated chemical substances in the surface layer of the atmosphere was calculated, based on data on the odor threshold for these substances. The discrepancy between the existing dimensions of the protection zones of pig complexes and their production capacities was established, while the concentrations of the investigated substances in the air were not exceeded. Out of 126 respondents, 72% complain of a periodic deterioration in their health, which they associate with the pig complex. At mathematical modeling with averaging in 24 hours the excess of a threshold of a smell of hydrogen sulphide (2,8 times) and methylmercaptan (in 2,6 times) is found out. Conclusions are made about the prospects of the method of mathematical modeling of the distribution of chemical substances in ambient air, taking into account their odor threshold.
2. MOZ Ukrainy. (1997). Derzhavni sanitarni pravyla okhorony atmosfernoho povitria naselenykh mists (vid zabrudnennia khimichnymy ta biolohichnymy rechovynamy): DSP -201-97. [Ministry of Health of Ukraine. (1997). State sanitary rules for the protection of atmospheric air of populated areas (from pollution by chemical and biological substances): - 201-97. Kyiv - Kiev.
3. Slautenko, Ye. H. (2017). Hihii enichne znachennia zabrudnennia povitria vykydamy sirkovodniu zi svynarskykh kompleksiv vysokoi potuzhnosti. [Hygienic significance of air pol luti on by hydrogen sulfi de emissions from pi g- breeding complexes of high power]. Dovkillia ta zdorovia - Environment and health, 3 (83), 46-49.
4. Slautenko, Ye. H. (2018). Novi instrumenty otsinky nebezpeky dlia zdorovia naselennia vid zabrudnennia atmosfernoho povitria svynokompleksamy. [New tools for assessing the health risks of the population from atmospheric air pollution by pig farms]. Medychni perspektyvy - Medical perspectives, 1, 96-97.
5. Turos, O. I. (2007). Mozhlyvosti vykorystannia metodolohii otsink y ryzyku v poperedzhuval nomu ta potochnomu sanitarnomu nahliadi. Planuvannia ta zabudova naselenykh mists: aktualni sanitarno-hihii enichni ta ekolohichni problemy i shliakhy yikh vyrishennia, Materialy nauk.-prakt. konf. [Possibilities of using the methodology of ri sk assessment in preventive and ongoing sanitary supervision. Planning and development of populated areas: actual sanitary and hygienic and environmental problems and ways of their solution, Materials of sciences. conf.]. Kyiv - Kiev, 25-26.
6. Shkuro, V. V., Feshchenko, K. D. Makhniuk, V. M. & Mohylnyi, S. M. (2009). Suchasni hi hiienichni aspek ty funktsionuvannia tvarynnytskykh kompleksiv v Ukraini. [Modern hygienic aspects of the functioning of livestock complexes in Ukraine]. Hihiiena naselenykh mists - Hygiene of populated places, 53, 37-46.
7. A Review of the reference dose and reference concentration process. EPA/630/P-02/002F, December 2002 Final Report. (2002). Risk Assessment Forum U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Washington, DC. Retrieved from https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2014-12/documents/ rfd-final.pdf.
8. Nicolai, R. & Pohl, S. (2005). Understanding livestock odors. Cooperative Extension Service Fact Sheet FS 925-A. South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD. Retrieved from http://agbiopubs.sdstate.edu/articles/FS925-A.pdf.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.